Playing This Game Another Way

KiheBard at aol.com KiheBard at aol.com
Sat Mar 1 06:27:18 PST 1997

In a message dated 97-02-28 13:49:57 EST, Llygoden writes:

> As for 'chasing the belt' I think Galen said it best in that he didn't
>  get the belt until he stopped chasing it.
> I am a heavy weapons fighter, and  I would like to be a Knight
> someday, but it is by no means necessary to my
>  enjoyment of the SCA. It's my understanding that the belt will come,
> you have to practice and be noticed, surely,

Fully agreed. (The *type* and *regularity* of notice are also important.)

> (and be squired etc. etc. etc.)

Her we must part company for a bit. Where is there any requirement
that a given gentle must squire (or apprentice or whatever) before
they are considered for a granted peerage?

Not in the official rules of the Society for Creative Anachronism
as *I* understand them. Such a requirement is not in the formal
documents governing the assorted peerages to the best of my
current knowledge, and I can imagine well the hue & cry that
would be raised were any attempt made to insert such requirements
into the official documents.

To the best of my current knowledge, there is no "formalized informal"
structure in the Peerage circles which automatically disqualifies
non-squires / non-apprentices / non-proteges from consideration
for advancement to any of the Peerages.  Unfortunately for my
point in this matter, I cannot recall any recent example of a new Peer
being created who was not either "affiliated" with an existing Peer OR
already the holder of another peerage.

Politics being what they are, I expect that as a non-affiliated artisan,
bard (and Bard), aging (currently inactive) fighter, and generalist who
works hard before and at events -- if I am seriously considered for a
peerage of any type in less than another 20 years it will only be if I
make some incredibly boneheaded good choices in the middle of a
crisis and the results turn out for the best.

Let us say that I am not holding my breath until this happens. <gryn>

I'm not sitting on my behind doing nothing, either. Well, at least not all
the
time. I have not been particularly active for a few months due to a
variety of personal issues, but I still find time to add to my existing
research (YES! I laid my hands on literary proof that there were
indeed acknowledged female bards in pre-Christian Ireland...); to
assist with events in my current barony (I'll be merchant coordinator
for Steppes Warlord this year -- additional details to be posted
separately); to dabble in calligraphy and illumination; to teach classes
at "academic" events (most recently two sessions during
wInterKingdom); and such-all else.

If I am to be noticed and formally recognized, good. If not, I'd appreciate
knowing why, but I'm not going to lose sleep over the matter either way.
I'll still be a participant in the Current Middle Ages, and happy to be
"home".

> but don't you also have to display honor and chivalry?

Absoposilutely. You don't have to be a combatant to do so either, or even a
combatant's consort.

KiheBard at aol.com  OR  kihe at geocities.com
In the SCA, al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra,
     currently residing in Steppes, Ansteorra
I speak for myself, and sometimes others. Here, now, these words are MINE!
(except as noted...)