Peer elevation...

Gileshill at aol.com Gileshill at aol.com
Mon Mar 3 13:32:38 PST 1997

Phelim asked
>  Btw, do we still actually enforce:
>
>    g. They shall have made every effort to learn and practice those
>    skills desirable at and worthy of a civilized court. To this end they
>    should have some knowledge of a wide range of period forms, including
>    but not limited to literature, dancing, music, heraldry, and chess,
>    and they should have some familiarity with combat as practiced in
>    the Society. They should also participate in Society recreations of
>    several aspects of the culture of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.
>
>  to become a peer in this Kingdom?

Hi, y'all.... Giles (formerly Ansteorran) here.  Much as I loath the "In
_Caid_ we...." conversation opener, I must say that candidate meetings here
(at least for the Laurels) almost always start with a reading of this
particular passage.*  I would commend this practice to other circles... it
tends to remind us that the question is not only "Does s/he make great
widgets?" but also "Do they contribute something to the entirety of the
realm?"

Giles
Bon-bon from way back

*The reading is almost always followed by a sotto voce, "The Word of the
Board" from the reader, and "Thanks be to BoD" from the high-churchers and
the high-church wannabees among us.