If there was no S.C.A.

KiheBard at aol.com KiheBard at aol.com
Sun Mar 2 12:20:23 PST 1997

Dieterich, mein Herr, you really *do* know how to rouse the rabble!

>         I would like to hear/read as many of you as possible, in your own
>  words, define the S.C.A. as it should be found in an encyclopedia.

[Disclaimer: the following "article" is being constructed entirely from
memory and no doubt will requirement amendment & correction!]

SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism: a group of hobbyists who seek to
re-create and preserve knowledge of the Dark, Middle, and Rennaisance age
through hands-on participation. While less restrictive in their approach than
other re-enactors (cf. [articles describing various "more authentic" groups
and RennFaires]), the SCA derives much of its strength from relative
accessibility and flexibility. The Society excludes derivative "fantasy" in
general, unlike many / most Live-Action Role Playing groups (see under
article on LARP). The SCA does speak of the "Current Middle Ages", however,
and many of their gatherings have included problem-solving "quests" as a
much-beloved feature.

The Society (as it is often known to participants) traces its founding to a
backyard party at a home in Berkeley, California, on the 1st of May in
1965ce. A group of people who came together there in celebration at the end
of a college course covering medieval poetry gathered for a feast in costume,
accompanied by a tournament-at-arms. From that initial gathering of less than
fifty people, the SCA grew to include in excess of 40,000 active participants
by its 30th anniversary. (More precise numbers for current participation
levels are at best only guesswork, as paid membership is not a requirement
for participation in the local activities of the various groups comprising
the Society.)

Dealing primarily with the years between 600ce and 1600ce, participants in
the Society study the costume, daily lives, arts, and crafts of "the Period"
in a number of ways.

 * Combat forms are re-constructed using stringently developed safety rules
and training of individual combatants: "chivalric" or "heavy" weapons being
simulated by rattan wrapped in duct tape and with added hard protection for
carefully defined areas of the body; "rapier" or "light" weapons are derived
from modern fencing equipment paired with armor which far exceeds the
requirements of modern (a.k.a. "Olympic") gear.

 * Projects in "arts & sciences" include: construction of costume, decoration
of costume, wearing of costume (just because a given look has been achieved
externally is no guarantee that the finished attire is wearable!); brewing,
vintning, cheese-making, cooking, and other culinary pursuits; metal-working,
wood-working, jewelry craft, pottery, paper-making, bookbinding, calligraphy
& illumination of manuscripts, painting, and many other constructive
endeavors; research into the knowledge and attitudes of historical, regional,
and ethnic areas; entertainment areas such as poetry (new creations in
traditional styles as well as preservation and performance of ancient
material both in the original and in translated or re-interpretted forms),
vocal music , instrumental music, theater, story-telling, and even opera
(q.v.: the first recognized opera was performed in 1597ce).

 * "Events" (including touraments, "wars", revels, and feasts) where the
various creative arts are placed upon display, the trained combatants meet to
test one another's skill, and knowledge is exchanged through formal classes
and informal discussions.

Loosely controlled by a Board of Directors,  Society for Creative
Anachronism, Inc. is a California orporation established as a "501(c)3
educational organization" (cf. "IRS - Non-Profit Corporations in the United
States of America"). It is also organized as a collection of "kingdoms" with
both administrative and ceremonial officer structures in place. Ceremonially,
Monarchs (King or Queen, with a chosen consort) are selected by tournament
and territorial Barons / Baronesses are appointed. Seneschals are the primary
administrative leaders at each level of organization (local,
regional/Principality, Kingdom, and Society).

As of [date] the corporate offices could be contacted at [address].

>          I would also like to hear/read your 'mission statement' for the
>  S.C.A.. In other words, in one sentence describe our goal.

The Society for Creative Anachronism exists to preserve and re-discover the
Middle Ages and Rennaisance (in all their aspects) for the enjoyment of its
modern-day participants.

(Dieterich, *keep* asking the hard ones. Sometimes, we need to hear those
questions - and to respond to them.)

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
	currently residing in Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mike C. Baker					KiheBard at aol.com
Any opinions expressed are obviously my own unless explicitly stated
otherwise!