(Long reply regarding chivalric philosophy) Re: Alexis'

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Fri Mar 7 17:32:43 PST 1997

As someone who participates in a similar system, I have a few
comments to add.

This system is not fair. In fact, no system is fair. Democracy trods
down the minority. Anarchy downtrods the weak. Monarchy downtrods any
the sovern does not like. So long as our system contains people it
will be unfair. Grace exists in striving to be fair anyway.

Remember, that any "bad guys" in the system don't see themselves that
way. They believe they are doing what is best, just as the "good
guys" do. So what can you do? Fight those efforts you see as wrong,
try to get the "bad guys" to see what is wrong with their approach,
and try always to understand their point of view -- it might occur to
you from time to time that you are one who needs to change your view.

It never ceases to amaze me how surprised people are when we have
similar problems to those experienced by people who lived in the
middle ages through the victorian era, just because we are using
similar methods. But people are still people and the closer we come
to copying period (or post period) practices and institutions, the
more our problems will resemble the people we copy. I would suggest
that that is part of the flavor and we would be poorer if it were not
so. The value lies in striving to be better, to re-create the good,
but not the bad. In knowing we will always fall short of that ideal,
we know that future generations of SCAers will always have something
to strive for.

Don "Savein" Dore'