Coolest Peerage Ceremony

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Fri Mar 21 20:07:05 PST 1997

At 09:07 AM 3/21/97 MST, you wrote:

>My question:  what's the coolest peerage ceremony you've ever
>seen?

For me, it's got to be the knighting of Sir Kief at Grand Court at Pennsic
20. (For those of you who may not know him, Kief lost a leg in a motorcycle
accident some time before he joined the SCA.) During the ceremony, when it
came time to give the new knight his spurs, Stephen of Bellatrix stepped
forward and removed one of his own spurs.

He spoke to the assembled multitude, saying that he was giving this spur to
Kief, and from this day forward he would only wear one spur out of honor
and respect for his friend. If anyone in the future asked him why he only
wore one spur, he would tell them of Sir Kief.

Years later, it still chokes me up.

	-Tivar Moondragon