A Question for Everyone

Galen of Bristol pmitchel at flash.net
Sat Mar 22 08:51:11 PST 1997

Keith Ewing wrote:

> You wrote:
> >
> >Hello fellow Ansteorrans, the list has been rather slow lately (or I
> >have somehow gotten off it) so I am going to pose a question to
> everyone
> >out there.  The older players might have a better answer, but I will
> >read anyone's reply.  My question is: Does Ansteorra knight on the
> >field? Why, why not? Has it happened before?
> >
> >Gilyan
> >Mooneschadowe
> >Ready and waiting for another WAR!!;)
> >
> Daniel Blackaxe was knighted on the field at Pennsic. (He later took a
> Master's Baldric.)
>
> Conrad of Castleton was knighted on the field at Gulf Wars.
>
> Burke Kyriel MacDonald was knighted by the hands of two Kings on the
> field at the first Outland wars.
> Duchess Rowan was knighted the day before on the field.
>
> William the Bear's knighting was announced on the tourney field after a
> particularly good bout at Crown. He was knighted that evening.
>
> That's all I can think of, off hand.
>
> Kein

I was knighted on the field following a Crown Tourney.
Rowan was knighted on the field just a few hours earlier than
Burke at the Outlands war -- same day.

The tricky part for a king who wants to knight someone on the
field is that it's best done spontaneously.  But to make a knight
in the SCA the Crown must first consult with the members of the
Chivalry.  The key is to plan in advance.  With Burke and Rowan,
we had voted on both that morning.  It was decided to knight
Rowan immediately on the field before the first battle, and
announce Burke at court that knight and do it at -- I think --
Mooneschadow, which was coming up in a couple of weeks.  But
Burke's exploit on the field caused the King to simply knight
him right then.  It was -- in reality -- more a question of
affecting already-planned timing than inspiring anyone of his
worth to be knighted that Burke achieved on the field, but the
romance of the moment was spectacular.

- Galen

--
Viscount Galen of Bristol, KSCA, CSM, etc.
Paul Mitchell, pmitchel at flash.net / "noblesse oblige"