Fighting Laurels

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Tue Mar 18 10:11:34 PST 1997

Heilsa, All!

        I was a bit surprised at Lyonnesse to have not one but several
fighters comment that they had never seen a Laurel in combat.  There were
many who were surprised that a Mistress of the Laurel was out there doing
combat!

        Now, I know that the battle wordfame of Mistress Mara, Mistress
Stella (who also fought at Lyonnesse this year), Duchess Willow and myself
can be elipsed by our artistic accomplishments, but what about those who
hold both the Laurel and a knighthood?  A few that come quickly to mind are
Hrabia Jan, Duke Sigmund, Duke Inman, and Count Finn.  Frankly, most of the
Laurels have been in armor at least a few times in the past, and many more
continue to take up arms!

        Obviously the popular perception is that arts and combat do not mix!
This says to me that those fighters who are mostly known for their arts, as
well as those artists who are mostly known for their fighting need to make
it more clear that they are multi-talented!

        It would be a shame for both the arts or peace and those of war if
people in the SCA come to believe that one can be EITHER a fighter OR an
artisan, and never the two categories may meet!

        My martial cousins of the Laurel, take heed!

Wassail,
::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde