War Points

Todd W. Marsh tmarsh at Sierrasys.com
Tue Mar 18 20:31:22 PST 1997

Karl von Augsburg listed some point scores from Gulf Wars, then asked:

>How can our points still add up to 2.5 each?

My good lord, you are obviously trying to use modern mathematics where a
more medieval approach should be used.  The important issue is not who
scored what points, but who had the most fun.  Since both sides enjoyed
themselves, the crowns declared the scores to be even, and the
competition to be a tie.

For more info about the origins of numerical methods, see "The Measure
of Reality" by A.W. Crosby.  It describes the shift from the qualitative
approach of the middle ages to the quantitative approach of the
renaissance, over the years 1250 to 1600.  An excellant book.

Llywelyn
Lord Elfsea