A Question for Everyone

Jeanne Stapleton jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
Fri Mar 21 10:16:14 PST 1997

> > My question:  what's the coolest peerage ceremony you've ever
> > seen?
>
> > Countess Berengaria de Montfort de Carcassonne, OP
>
> I think most are pretty cool in one way or another.  However, the
> most memorable ceremony I've ever seen was at 20th Pennsic's Grand
> Court.  It was a laureling ceremony, and I don't remember the full
> name of the man receiving the honor.  I only remember that his name
> ended with "... of Coldcastle".

That's Robert of Coldcastle a resident of Calontir.  He's one of my
buddies, a man whose talents approach the god-like.  he did my
Pelican scroll (I am so lucky).  He's renowned for signing things
"Robert of Coldcastle did this thing".

> I thought this ceremony was great because people within the populace
> from all around the hall stood independantly and showed things the
> man had made over the years.  The volume, variety and quality of his
> work was evident and clearly showed why the man was being made a
> laurel.  I think displays of this nature really add something to the
> ceremony, especially for newer people.  It helps give them a much
> clearer understanding of what it takes (time, dedication, high
> quality standards) to be elevated to peerage.  Plus, such a show of
> accomplishment strikes me as very appropriate at that point, ie. the
> culmination of years (and  years and years...) of effort. Kat
> MacLochlainn Barony of Wiesenfeuer, Ansteorra

I agree!  It's great when you can stand up and show the work that
put the person there.  And I think it's great for the recipient to
know that these people valued his work.

Countess Berengaria de Montfort de Carcassonne, OP
Barony of Caerthe
Kingdom of the Outlands