Knight's Family Tree...

Galen of Bristol pmitchel at flash.net
Tue Mar 25 19:34:52 PST 1997

robert m milliron wrote:

> Greetings
>
>   My Lord has sort of sent my on a task.  I enjoy doing genealogy, so we
> would like to do a genealogy of the Ansteorran knights.  I will need all
> the help of any one that is willing to lend my knowledge as well as where
> to go for info.
> I am not sure but I think some one may have started this task already.
> If so please send info.    I only know a few lineages.  Such as Sir
> Daffydd Whittaker was a  Squire to His Grace Mikael of Monmouthshire a
> Squire to His Grace Lloyd von Eaker.  I believe HG Lloyd was a knight of
> Atenveldt.  I'm not sure on that matter.  I will note sure as In a family
> tree...  Knight of (Name a Kingdom)>>>>Mikael of
> Monmouthshire(10/31/87)>>>Richard de Chinon(05/24/92)>>>Daffydd
> Whittaker(10/11/92)  Then I will of course have to break off To note the
> squires made knights under whomever.  I have all kinds of paper work for
> doing family tree's.
> Enough said if you can please help I will be for ever in your debt.
> Thanks
>
> Ann
>  Lady Anastasiya Feodorovna
> milliron1 at juno.com

As regards the knight-to-squire lineage, equally valid and interesting
as the king-to-knight lineage, here's a bit I find particularly
interesting:

                    Sir Balthazar of Endor

                           /   \
                          /     \
          Sir William of Weir   Count Simonn of Amber Isle
                 |                   /        |       \
   Graf Dinaris the Wanderer   Sir Robert     |  Sir Henri Hibous DuBois
                 |             Hellmanstahl   |
   Duke Hector Philip Martel           Viscount Galen of Bristol*
                 |                        /        |           \
Duke Patrick Michael Gordonne   Earl Kein MacEwan+ |  Sir Connor mac Cinneide
         |              \                          |
Count Jean Richard    Sir Rhodri          Sir Wolfram Flammenherz (Drachenwald)**
 Malcomson            ap Gwythyr

*I had previously been squire to Count Ton the Traveler.
+Kein was previously squire to Sir Manfred von Halstern, of the Eastrealm.
**Wolfram was not my squire; as a Viscount, prior to being knighted, I had
several formal students I called "shieldmen" -- Wolfram was knighted six
weeks before I was.

I have more about my own lineage and present & former squires and students
on my website, including heraldry.

BTW, Duke Lloyd was never a knight; he was Ansteorra's first Master of Arms.
Nor do I believe he was ever a squire.  But:

                         Duke Lloyd von Eaker, MSCA
                           /           |           \
      Sir Pendaran Glamorgan           |        Sir Gunthar Jonson

                         Duke Mikael of Monmouthshire
                         /      /     |    \         \
   Count Richard du Chinon     /      |     \        Sir Barn Silveraxe(?)
                Sir Dafydd Whitaker   |  Master Daniel Blackaxe, MSCA(?)
                            Sir Conrad of Castleton(?)

I'm less sure of this second tree, as should be apparant; this is all off the
top of my head.

>From your perspective, the squire-to-knight lineage may be more difficult, as
there is no one "trunk" to the tree.  Many Knights and Masters were never
squires, as the institution of squirehood is at least 10 years younger than
SCA knighthood, and squirehood is not (nor should it be) a prerequisite to
knighthood.  Also, several of us were squires to more than one knight.

My congratulations to your Lord; I regret I will not be at his knighting, as I
am obligated to be at Guardian of the Tor VI that weekend; I am the present
chivalric Guardian, as well as Bard.

--
Viscount Galen of Bristol, KSCA, CSM, etc.
Paul Mitchell, pmitchel at flash.net / "noblesse oblige"