SCA vs Mundane

Beth Zimmerman bethzimm at dallas.net
Tue May 6 07:36:03 PDT 1997

> Allysyn Wrote:

> I would like to start a new topic, if I may.
>
> I have recently been innundated with rude comments from mundanes about
how
> "very unrealistic and silly  I  am being for getting into such a fantasy
> world."  For example, I recently made a neclace with a beautifle letter A
on
> it (persona name) and I display it proudly around my  neck.  A 'friend'
> says, "why don't you use your REAL name, and be more realistic?"
<SNIP>

> But before I douse the burning cross in my yard (or is that our Pell?) I
> will scream loudly, VIVAT ANSTEORRA!

VIVAT!!  Unfortunately there are those who don't understand.  I don't mind
that they don't, I mind when they start trying to tell me how to run my
life or judging me.  Just remember these are small minded people.  If you
were playing sports or something "exceptable" they wouldn't ;mind the time
you spent on it.  Question is, are you having fun, and it sounds as if you
are.
I'll share a conversation (edited mightly)  I had with a psychiatrist
friend.  I explained the SCA to her and how I go out on weekends and run
around in the woods with friends dressed in Medieval clothing and having a
ball (yes, I did explain what we were about)  He comment to me was... Oh,
how healthy.  You've blended your imagination with your creativity and play
and manage to relieve stress at the same time.  More people should do
something like this.  So, our society is good for our mental
health....well, most of the time.  8^)

Afrena O'Dunlaing
(switched back Gaylan)