SCA vs Mundane

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Tue May 6 08:47:53 PDT 1997

dentim at mail.myriad.net 5/6/97 8:24 AM

>I would like to start a new topic, if I may.
>
>I have recently been innundated with rude comments from mundanes about how
>"very unrealistic and silly  I  am being for getting into such a fantasy
>world."  For example, I recently made a neclace with a beautifle letter A on
>it (persona name) and I display it proudly around my  neck.  A 'friend'
>says, "why don't you use your REAL name, and be more realistic?"

I am sure some of my friends think my husband and I are crazy. They are
after all conservative Catholics who spend every Sunday in church and
give of themselves to their church quite a lot in time and money.
However, because they are my friends, when I speak of what I am doing in
the SCA they are considerate enough to listen, make a kind comment or 2
and thats it. Accepting people for what they are and do is friendship.
Trying to 'save' them from themselves or 'convert' them from an activity
is not friendship.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time with folks in your community.

Clarissa