Kingdom Warlord was a Blast

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Mon May 5 10:32:02 PDT 1997

> YES!  Period tourneys didn't do the modern "tennis tournament"
> elimination and fixed algorithm to select one (1) winner, so I (FWIW)
> consider it a great plus.  I hope the fighters liked it, but I
> understand that the average fighter gets a lot less fighting in a
> standard N-elimination tourney -- opinions from the fighters?
>
> --
> Daniel de Lincoln
> Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com

I personally think there is room for both types of tournies and there are good and
bad results for either.

I personally like the "tennis tournament" format for Local Championship style
events.  Having a final round of two or three fighters striving for the victory
with a clear winner is usually quite exciting and can feature a great deal of
pomp and ceremony.  Even Bear Pit lists can be ended this way.  Black Oak Keep's
championship has started to become a Bear Pit list with the top two or three
fighters deciding the winner in a final round.  This gives the excitement of an
elimination tourney with the variety of a Bear Pit.  Also someone in second place
has a chance to turn the tables and win the event.

Medieval style Pas des Armes tournies are also fun and the winner of the tourney
may not necessarily be the best fighter on the field.  The pros of this are that
a Champion may be chosen that best suits the mood and character of the hosting
group and these are usually quite enjoyable for the noncombatants.

Some of the negative aspects of the list-tree tourney includes Rhino-hiding has a chance of being rewarded, a group's champion may have no real concern for the
group itself but be just another trophy on the shelf for that fighter.  The winner
may not be the best example of the group's style, just happened to be the hot
stick that day.

Negative's for the Pas des Armes tourney include the fact that sometimes people's
choice may not be the finest example of Chivalry that day.  Some people who decide
the champion may disregard the other entrants, no matter how well they performed,
in favor of a "buddy".  People who are all flash but no substance may be chosen
by non-fighters in spite of what the other entrants may feel.

I'm truly not slamming any of the styles.  Both are fun and can be (in fact
usually are) ideals of chivalry and martial prowess.  I think both have their
places within the Society.  I admit I prefer the "tree" style tourney because that
happens to be what I'm best at, but I do enjoy the other types of tournies as
well.  The way Kingdom Warlord was run sounds like a very good way for Thier
Majesties to decide the all around abilities of Their Champion.  I wish I could
have gone it sounds like fun.

Just some words to get the ball rolling...  :-{)}

Yers,

Sir Gunthar Jonsson                      "It is better to lose well than
Kingdom of Ansteorra                               to win badly."

              ()
              ()