Irish Heroes School - Events

Gregory R. Gagnon cian at ghg.net
Tue May 6 06:09:13 PDT 1997

Don't forget, you must compete in every section to enter.  Get those
authorizations now!  We plan to make the information available to
students not less than six months prior to the school.  Any or all of
these are subject to change based upon _your_ input.

Round Robin Chivalric Tourney:  Every Fighter fights every other fighter
in all 5 main weapon styles, then once with weapon of choice.  A
circular round robin (speed tourney).

Round Robin Rapier Tourney:  As above.

Heraldry Test:  A written and visual recognition test.  The visual
recognition test will include Kingdom Arms and Badges from the Known
World, Principality and Baronial Arms and badges for the surrounding
Kingdoms and Shire and Canton Badges and arms for Ansteorra.  Not all of
these will be tested, but there will be some from each category.

History Test:  General Society and Kingdom History.  Specified events in
period will also be covered.  Extra attention to battles.  These events
must be chosen in advance and the information made available.

Spear Speed & Accuracy:  From a stationary position strike X number of
targets through a hole twice the diameter of a spearhead.  Maybe 2.5
times the diameter.

Rapier Speed & Accuracy:  Same thing, different size targets and holes.
Multiple heights are used to limit the advantage of an individual who
happens to be the right height.

Command Ability:  Each fighter is placed in command of all the others.
They are given tactical situation then have to arm, instruct and lead
their forces against an opponent.  Grading is by outsiders and
combatants.

Archery:  IKCAC (if that is the proper acronym) competition.

Combat Archery:  If we can come up with the targets shooting will be
against chivalric fighters in both individual and melee settings.
Individual setting will be with a protected archer and a trapped
fighter.  Melee will be as fought.  The difficulty here is in accurate
judging.  The challenge isn't the same for all.

Chivalric Cross Country:  Given a clearly marked course the fighter must
traverse it with full armor and weapons (spear, sword and shield).
There will be a minimum weight and coverage requirement for armor.
Another requirement is that the fighter can be challenged at any time
and must be fully armored within one minute.

Poetry:  A fighter must compose within a time period a short piece of
poetry in a predetermined simple style and recite it.

Equestrian:  Too few of us are truly skilled enough in the equestrian
arts to safely include this.  Horses would add another level of danger
and complexity.  They would be essential to a period competition like
this, but I don't know how to add them.  Please enlighten me.

Sir Cian Conor MacQuaid
cian at ghg.net