SCA vs. Mundane

J'lynn Yeates jyeates at bga.com
Tue May 6 09:28:30 PDT 1997

On  6 May 97 at 11:52, Joel Schumacher wrote:

> This may be a strech, but let's say you were marooned on a desert isle.
> A typical person would probably be lost.  No micro-wave oven, no power
> tools, no fabric from the cloth store.

as would a great many SCAdian types ... most of the SCA types that i
have known over the years are no more or no less self-reliant than
most mundanes (the term dosn't offend me thus i use it) .

> The SCA crafts come from a simpler time.  Basically, you build from
> scratch, from the elements around you.  In this situation, I'm sure
> a seasoned SCA'er could build shelter, make their own fabrics, even
> fashion furniture, make leather products, etc.  You'd probably end up
> with a comfortable life.

let's see you prospect, mine, refine, smelt, cast, shapen and ax
head from native materials with the hypothetical tools you are left
with on your hypothetical desert isle.  building a industrial /
technologicical base is a daunting undertaking, re-runs of Gilligans
Island not withstanding

> That's the pot calling the kettle black...

tf they're both black in the first place, what's teh problem

'wolf