Yes indeed--Melees at Warlord

Roy Heath royheath at flash.net
Thu May 22 17:17:07 PDT 1997

Unto Alrek, Tor, Valdemar, Colin, Elizabeth, Bolvin, and all others to
whom these presents may come doth Erc FitzMungo send greetings and hopes
for your safe travel.

A quick note on directions; I believe that the correct exit from I-20 is
523 or 524.  Hwy 19 is one exit to the east of where you want to be,
although you can always cross over the freeway and double back with no
trouble.

Now, on to the heart of the matter.

Melees will have no restrictions, silly or otherwise, except those
required in the interests of safety for the participants and, more
importantly, the non-fighters at the event.  The only rule that I
currently plan to enforce is that there will be a 5 minute break each
hour where all fighters MUST remove their oven/helmet and accept water or
other liquid.  If you want to faint from heat exhaustion, do it at
somebody else's warlord tournament.

Let me make this extremely clear.  Combat archers...come on down!  Siege
engineers...bring your heaviest!  Pole arms! Pole arms! Pole arms!  There
may be some scenarios which will not permit the use of all combinations
simultaneously; but the idea is for everyone to have an opportunity to
play.

Playtime will begin at 2 PM on Friday afternoon and continue for as long
as the light and marshallate hold out.  Play will begin at the end of the
third round of both the Saturday and Sunday tournaments so that folks can
have a chance to fight in the tourney without feeling pressured (of
course if they are still in after 3 rounds, they will have a decision to
make).

In order for us to be able to play, however, we will need good gentles
who are willing to help marshall and bear water for the fighters.  I pray
that all who read this will spread the word to others travelling, for we
will need your assistance.  Our Barony is huge and our people work as
hard as any; but this is a very long, hot event. The melee fighting is an
extra activity, not the main one.

Rest assured that your generosity and goodwill are appreciated by me
already and I will spread great wordfame everywhere I go for those who
would help me in this endeavor.

Further requests for information will be accepted until around midnight
by e-mail or telephone at (214) 324-3876 (no collect calls please).
After midnight, somebody better be dyin'.

In service,
Erc fitzMungo
First assistant all around flunkee of the Steppes