The New Steppes Warlord Is...

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon May 26 15:11:49 PDT 1997

>Greetings to all~~~~~~~~ has anyone heard who the next Steppes Warlord
>is? We who were not so fortunate to have  gone would love to know the
>results of the event.....

Our well-beloved Timo, who so many know through his posts to this list.  His
fightning not only won him victories, he was consistently entertaining (a
real plus, so many fighters forget that there are spectators) and his honor
and chivalry were shining examples to all.  Baron Pepin of Namron likewise
made an excellent showing, and was Timo's main competition for the Warlord
title.

Let us not forget the other chivalry at the event, either.  Her Highness
Aleisha's knighting ceremony was WONDERFUL.  Like many (most?) of  the
others watching, I had a huge smile on my face, and tears rolling down my
cheeks at the same time.  We thought Pendaran was not going to be able to
make his speech about the symbolism of the Knight's Chain due to being
choked up, but he managed very well.  Aleisha was gorgeous, the ceremony
impressive, and when the Sultan asked if there was a Laurel to speak for the
lady, the entire Order leapt up en masse in a spontaneous and completely
unplanned gesture and stood for her, then bowed and held it until Mahdi
could have her turn to see.  This was an accolade never given beforeto any
Ansteorran knight, and I suspect never or extremely rarely elsewhere in the
Known World.  It was just one more mark of the respect Aleisha is held in,
and how many, many people felt the rightness of the King's decision to make
this worthy lady a knight.

And I cannot skip a word or two about my new sisters of the Laurel, either.
Mistress Caitlin McKenna had a very dignified procession, and she was as
usual clothed in her superb garmentry, of course topped off by another of
her marvelous hats. In fact, the final crowing of Caitlin with the
traditional wreath of Laurel by Mistress Branwyn became a challenge due to
the hat, but Branwyn managed just fine.   Mistress Penelope opted for a
Greek theme, being accompanied by retinue in Grecian costume, and she was
carried in by four bearers in a sedan chair, which was an extremely
effective touch.  She donated one of her amazing "Savonarola" style folding
medieval chairs to the Steppes to be used as a prize.

I am extremely sorry to have had to leave early, but work alas calls.  If
you missed the event, you should be sorry, as despite a rainy Friday night
the weekend was absolutely wonderful.

And, of course, no one claimed Mistress Clare's money as no earthquakes were
felt.

Wassail,
::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva