My comments regarding netiquette

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue May 27 12:47:25 PDT 1997

> I hope that my intentions regarding my comments about repostings are not
> being misconstrued as some form of castigation ($5.00 word) directed at any
> particular people.

I don't feel that they have.

> I seem to recall making my comments using the words "please" and "thank
> you".

And for that I thank you.

> I only feel that the SCA has the teaching of many forms of etiquette and
> courtesy as one of its purposes.  Why would this not include the
> dissemination of comments regarding the reduction of unnecessary clutter on
> a net list?

I have not said that it did not. My problem is that some of the comments
were inappropriate *and* rude. (Or maybe it was just a little too
blunt.) I will generally accept rude if they are appropriate, and accept
inappropriate if they are polite, but I don't accept both. (Hell, I
accepted Litch until he was inappropriate, and then my lady and I were
the first to call him out. Of course he is the extreme example.)

> The example I cite as the most annoying is when someone reposts a 50- to
> 100-line message, then appends a dozen words of comment at the end.

I agree that this is should be kept to a minimum, and polite education
will generally work.

> Unless somebody speaks up and *politely* suggests such things, how would
> anyone get the message?

I'm glad you emphasised politely.

> Also, the subject can be overworked.

You mean some of us might beat dead horses until they move again?

> I shall, therefore, slink back into my den and end my comments on the
> subject for a few months.

Oh now don't do that. We like everyone here contributing.

> SIR Alisha (did you get my present?)

Btw, I believe she has chosen the title of Dame.

Ciao,