Peers and students...

Heidi J Torres hjt at tenet.edu
Wed May 28 21:17:00 PDT 1997

On Wed, 28 May 1997, maddie teller-kook wrote:

> You are right!  And I shouldn't forget my Laurel.....Mistress Sindra.
> She was not an apprentice either.
>
> meadhbh

Nor should we forget Master Cynric or Master Thomas of Tenby.  I don't
believe either of these gentles were apprenticed to anyone.  (Tho Master
Cynric is still Sir Ricardo's squire, I believe.  Just shows you what can
happen.)

Being the student of a peer is not a requirement to attain that peerage,
nor is it a guarantee that you will.  Master-student relationships vary
greatly.  If you are thinking of entering such a relationship, both
prospective "master" and "student" should fully discuss each other's
expectations and limits.  Laurel-apprentice relationships can be
rewarding, growth-oriented experiences which leave both "master" and
"student" better people and artisans afterwards.  They can also be
fraught with difficulty and disappointment.  They are nothing to be taken
lightly.  (I'm sure the situation is similar in the other Peerage Circles.)

Also remember this: you don't have to be an apprentice to learn from a
Laurel.  (I can't speak for the other peerages.)  Most of us are
annoyingly generous with our advice and suggestions and will talk your
heads off about a particular interest if given half a chance.

I'll go before I ramble on any more....

yours,

Mari