SCA vs Mundane

dentim at mail.myriad.net dentim at mail.myriad.net
Tue May 6 06:24:19 PDT 1997

I would like to start a new topic, if I may.

I have recently been innundated with rude comments from mundanes about how
"very unrealistic and silly  I  am being for getting into such a fantasy
world."  For example, I recently made a neclace with a beautifle letter A on
it (persona name) and I display it proudly around my  neck.  A 'friend'
says, "why don't you use your REAL name, and be more realistic?"

"That group has nothing to do with reality."
"Why don't you sew REAL stuff?"
"If you spent as much time working on normal things..."
"The only people who participate in organizations like the SCA are crazy
fanatics." (yes, this one was told to me in church!)

I realize that part of the problem is that I live in an overly  conservative
town, and out of 52,000 people, there are 119 churches--mostly Southern
Baptist.  (After all, you "MUST be a Pagan if you get into that sort-of  thing!"

But before I douse the burning cross in my yard (or is that our Pell?) I
will scream loudly, VIVAT ANSTEORRA!

Enough ranting,

Allysyn