Peers and students...

Burke McCrory bmccrory at mercury.oktax.state.ok.us
Wed May 28 07:55:29 PDT 1997

At 08:32 AM 5/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Good Morning,
>
>  I've noticed as of late that in several cases people have made
>  "announcements" of squires and apprentices. I assume it happens with
>  proteges as well. (Heck, I didn't realize yellow and green belts
>  were "reserved" until I noticed someone who lost theirs this past
>  weekend and was looking for it. I leave the person anonymous. *grin*)
>
>  Since I've not really paid attention to this process, why are they
>  actually announcing this? Is there a benefit of doing this? Is there a
>  benefit to either person when making if official that they are teacher
>  and student instead of leaving it an informal process?

The taking of a student, squire, proteges, or apprentices is one of the
duties that a peer is charged with when they are elevated.  It is a public
statment that the person is embarcing on the road to that peerage.
Somtimes the cerimony is done in private between the teacher and student.
But sometime it is done in the most public of settings, Court.  A lot
depends on the type of reletionship that is being formed, weither the
student is relitivly unknown and the teacher wants all to see that they are
making this commitment, and sometime persona plays a role.  It is really up
to the individuale involved.

>  Are peers made that are not students to someone else? I know it's had
>  to of happened, but how often does it happen now. (ie. When were the
>  last of each peerage who wasn't a student?)

Yes, it has happens.  It use to be a lot more common in the past when the
number of peers in the Kingdom was less.  Today is is pretty uncommon but
is does happen from time to time.

>  On a side note, how many members of each peerage are there? The
>  circles I saw this last weekend may not have been representative. The
>  Pelican circle was damn small and the Laurels outnumbered the Knights.

The Laurels are the largest circle in the Kingdom I am not sure how many
members there are.  There are approx 65 members of the Chivalry.  And I
think there about 50 pelicans how many are active I do not know.

>  Of those members how many are still active? Does anyone actually keep
>  track of this sort of thing?
>
>Ciao,
>
>--
>Phelim "Pug" Gervase  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something
>Barony of Bryn Gwlad  |  graceful about that lady. A young woman bursting
with
>House Flaming Dog     |  vigor. She blinked at the sudden light. She writes
>pug at pug.net           |  beautiful poems. When ever shall we meet again?"

Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald

mka Burke McCrory
email:  burkemc at ionet.net