Peers and students...

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed May 28 08:23:03 PDT 1997

        In this kingdom, you mostly will see red belts for squires and
green belts for apprentices... Through custom (not a law) those colors are
reserved for that affiliation.  Yellow belts are reserved in other kingdoms
maybe for proteges, but that is not the norm.  Pelicans here just haven't
gotten into the protege mode.  (some do and some don't)  With all the
colors being taken like this, it will soon be hard for some people to hold
their pants up. *wink*
Pelicans that are made here are rarely in an offical student - peer
relationship.  I don't know of that many.  It is true that of all the
circles the Pelicans are the smallest and this is true the entire time I
have been a Pelican.  Most Pelicans are double peers which adds to the
confusion as well.
At this time there are maybe 20 Pelicans who are fairly active.  The
problem with Pelicans is that service is a harder thing to judge.... how
much service on a kingdom level is enough service to be considered.
Holding a kingdom office does not necessarily qualify you, but sometimes
you can get a Pelican for work in an office.  Sometimes length of time in
the SCA will qualify you.  I have been a Pelican for over 20 years and I
have seen a lot of the criteria change over the years.  I think that the
Laurelate suffers the most from public opinion and criteria changes.  The
group that is active now is a good cohesive group (if you went to Warlord
you will understand)
        I disagree with Sir Burke that it is part of the requirement of a
peer to take students.  For the two I belong to (Laurel and Pelican) you
are asked to continue teaching, whether formal or informal is up to the
individual.  For me, over the years I have learned that a formal
relationship is hard for me, so I prefer the informal.  I know Thomas feels
this way as well.  For many others, a formal path is much more desired.
        I want to encourage anyone who is interested in becoming a peer to
not think that there is any one way to become a peer.  To become a Peer is
as diverse and interesting as being in the SCA.  Some good peers have been
elevated sans a formal relationship equally as well as a formal one.  I was
lucky enough to mundanely work for Master Gwilym the Smith as well as be
friends with him. In the SCA, I had no formal affiliation with him except
as friend.  When I was made a Pelican, Duchess Willow transfered her
peerage from Laurel to Pelican the day before my elevation so there were no
Pelicans to affiliate with.  (She has since become a Laurel again.)
        The Crown can announce Peerages ahead of time, so friends and
others can plan on attending.  Some of my favorite peerages have been given
as surprizes to the people (Dupree receiving his Pelican comes to mind as
well as Baron Edwin's Lion) It just varies.
        As evident, I could go on for another length but I better stop.

Clare RosMuire St. John