Peers and students...

njones at ix.netcom.com njones at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 29 01:30:58 PDT 1997

Greetings Pug!

As I see many of our Peers on the list have taken up the discussion
from their point of view, I thought I would add a bit from the
perspective of an apprentice.

I did not enter into an apprenticeship lightly, I had been talking
with Mistress Meadhbh about it for about two years.  I desired
the formal relationship because I needed the motivation to follow
though on my projects.  On my own, I am a very lazy person, I get
nifty ideas, but then do nothing with them.  I wanted a someone
who would encourage me, guide me and give me a good swift kick in
the pants when I needed it.  I'm not really on the path to a Laurel,
so I don't look to my laurel to be an advocate for me, but more of
a mentor.

I think a lot of the reason why I think apprenticeship was what I
wanted is because of honor.  When I was on my own, what I did or
didn't do reflected solely on me.  Now, some of what I do or don't
do affects Mistress Meadhbh.

["Oh my god, did you taste the food Giovanni made?  Can you believe
that Meadhbh would let him get away with entering something like that?"]

It's a mental trick on my part, I suppose, but it makes me work
a bit harder on my projects.

Just a few thoughts composed much too late at night.  Not quite
the words that I was looking for but the best I could find at the
moment.

Gio