Peers and students, my opinions..

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu May 29 13:04:24 PDT 1997

>>  In the area of service, I don't quite understand what the criteria are
>>  for different things. I know that I do whatever I can to help out for
>>  meetings, events, and on the net. This is just what I do cause I like
>>  it. (It's part of what makes me good at my mundane job of System and
>>  Network Admin too.)
> This is the whole point of how to want to be a Peer.

What I don't understand about the whole process is why someone would
want to be a peer in and of itself.

What advantages do the awards/stature gain you? In the case of all of
the peerage levels, what you do is what people know, not the peerage
itself. Isn't it the person and actions, and not the title that is what
people remember? As far as OP, I can care less in the SCA or real life
about it.

>>  Do I think any of this is worthy of recognition? Hell no. I'd still be
>>  doing the same things without an award system.
> Hell yes, it's what makes a good peer.

I honestly don't think I've done anything exceptional enough to have
been recognized. Others apparently do. It's a simple matter of perspective.

> I'd do all the stuff I do because
> it's who and what I am.  I do the same thing at other places.

As do I.

> (Maybe that's why I get into so much trouble... cuz I get bored  *wink*)

That isn't what gets me in trouble. It's my smart mouth. *grin*

> There are people who seek to be a Peer and go looking for it.

I have seen this in some people. It is truly an ugly thing.

> They are
> some who happen into it  because they do something they love.  Those people
> usually wind up inspiring others and infecting them to do things.... they
> make good Peers.  Which would you rather be?

Happy, which I have been so far.

Btw, as someone has pointed out to me, it may have sounded like I was
blowing my own horn. I apologize for that. I was trying to give a
background of why this was a topic on my mind. (Not everyone on here has
a clue who I am or what I do, so starting in the middle of a conversation
wouldn't work very well.) People have mentioned I was on the path, so
I've been trying to figure out the path and if I truly wanted the end
goal before I get close to travelling it. One can always discourage or
not accept awards.

Ciao,