Peers and students...

Burke McCrory burkemc at ionet.net
Thu May 29 17:53:18 PDT 1997

At 06:02 PM 5/29/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Let me raise my hand and ask a dumb question....
>
>As I wipe the egg off my face here.....
>
>I know well what squires and apprentices are. What or to whom or how
>or in what capacity are students and proteges (sp?) made or used for.
>
><snip>
>
>Thank you for the time
>
>In Service....
>
>Nikolas

It's not a bad question.  In Ansteorra Knights have been taking squires
since before we were a Kingdom.  Laurels have been taking apprentices for
at least as long.  Both of these follow a historical precedent in that
Knights trained squites and persons who would be the equivalent to our
Laurels would take on apprentices.  The idea of the Pelican having a
protege is a little more vague when you look for a historical precedence.
I think that my be part of the reason that Ansteorra has not embraced the
concept like other Kingdoms.  In theory anyone can be a student to anyone
but when I joined (yes I know the dark ages) students were often times the
name given to persons who had established a squire like relationship with a
Master of Arms, they wore a red baldric.  I don't know how formally it had
be used in old Aten but I know that it didn't last long as several Masters
at Arms had squires.  The cadets to Dons came about after we couldn't get
the SCA as a whole to make a light weapons peerage.  Tivar would remember
the exact chronology better than I.

In Service to the Dream

Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald

mka. Burke McCrory