Three Songs ...

Kathy Lee kal35810 at jetson.uh.edu
Fri May 30 06:37:55 PDT 1997

Well, I guess we all know how often I check my e-mail now ... the first song
I sang at Alisha's ceremony at Steppes (And the song I *tried* to sing at
her vigil, but couldn't get through it) is "Belt and Chain".  It is on the
first Vivat Trimaris tape, although that's not where I learned it.  I don't
have the author with me, but I will post it this evening if someone else
hasn't beaten me to it.  I'm posting it, although someone else already has,
because my words are a bit different.

"Belt and Chain"

The Times are too fast, and the legends long past,
Yet some would dream of a place;
A place of goodwill where beauty lies still,
A bastion of honor and grace,
A bastion of honor and grace.

Will you wear the belt and chain,
That this dream may yet live again,
And swear your heart to chivalry's art,
Swear your sword to our gain,
Swear your sword that we reign?

Take the young *lass* and make her a page
Teach the *girl* to come of age
Teach her fielty, service and truth,
Give her these gifts in her youth,
Give her these gifts in full sooth

Will you wear the belt and chain,
That this dream may yet live again,
And swear your heart to chivalry's art,
Swear your sword to our gain,
Swear your sword that we reign?

Take te page and make her squire
Teach her arms to best her sire
Teach her chivalry's strength without stain,
For one day she'll take belt and chain,
One day she'll take belt and chain.

Will you wear the belt and chain,
That this dream may yet live again,
And swear your heart to chivalry's art,
Swear your sword to our gain,
Swear your sword that we reign?

Wear the belt as a badge of your word
Bear well the chain, for your oath is interred,
Hold fast to honor, as hard as it seems,
For you guard the halls of our dreams,
Your guard the halls of this dream.

And you wear the belt and chain,
That this dream may yet live again,
You've sworn your heart to chivalry's art,
You've sworn your sword to our gain,
Sworn your swrod that we reign.

"Peasant Knight"  (aka "Heart of a Warrior")
   by Lady Rosalind of Paradox Keep
   Barony of the Sacred Stone
   Kingdom of Atlantia

A young boy high on the battlements stood as he swept up the cold grey stones
And he gazed with delight at the lists, where the banners flew
Where the knights in bright armour were jousting there on their steeds of
dapple & roan
And the archers drew up their longbows made of yew.
	Oh I have the heart of a warrior !
	And although I am low-born, I hope one day I'll be sworn
	To be a knight, so I can fight to serve my lord.

The years passed by, and the steward's son  grew into a comely youth
He was strong of arm, and as fair as a summer  sky
But the o'er proud knight took no notice of him, save occasional sharp reproof
Yet undaunted were his dreams of glory high.
	Oh I have the heart of a warrior !
	And although  I am base-born, still  I hope one day I'm sworn
	To be a knight, and pledge my might to king and lord

The knight was summoned  by his Majesty to war in a distant land
On crusade, where honor and glory could be won.
He journeyed forth on his battle steed, with his greatsword at his hand
In his retinue of men, was the steward's son
	Oh I have the heart of a warrior !
	And full glad am I this morn, at his side, for I have sworn
	To serve my knight, so he may fight for his liege lord

The battle fierce around them raged, and the press of men was hard;
The knight grew faint of heart, and fain would flee.
But as he turned his steed, he found the path away was barred,
And he fell from top his horse most cowardly.
	For he had not the heart of a warrior,
	And although he was high-born, yet that day he had forsworn
	To be a knight, denied his vow to King and lord

The steward's son leaped into the fray, ar-med only with his knife
And defiant stood 'tween his master and his foes.
"Oh God above, unto you I pray, to protect my noble's life,
And to give me strength to withstand these many blows."
	But I have the heart of a warrior !
	And no matter  how I'm born, for on this day have I sworn
	To play the knight, and I must fight to save my lord.

The King rode out at the break of day, and his heart was full of woe,
For His comrades dead, 'tho a victory  great was won.
He found the knight unharmed, within a circle of slain foes
And cradled in his arms, was the steward's son.
	"Oh  he has the heart of a warrior !
	And  although he is base born, yet this day I'd have him sworn
	To be a knight, for he would die to save his lord."

The King dubbed him upon the field, "Arise, Sir Knight" said he
But the lad could not obey the King's command
And with his dying breath he gave  his oath of fealty
And he held the sword with the last touch of his hand
	For he had the heart of a warrior !
	But for men of women born, comes the day the soul has sworn
	To take to flight, and dwell in sight of Heaven's lord

They bore him aloft upon their shields with the knight's sword by his side
And they buried him with the honours due his life.
And evermore did the humbled knight, in a golden burnished sheath
Carry on his belt that old and rusted knife.
	May you have the heart of a warrior !
	And no matter how you're born, for on this day you have sworn
	To be a knight, with  honour bright  for King and lord
	For today you are reborn as a knight, and you have worn
		the golden chain, the belt of white, and silver sword.

And, lastly, one of my own ...

"Dedication"
  by Katerina Aretino

"What is a knight?"  Said the young boy to the page,
"Who wears the chain of honour?
What is a knight; who can wear the belt of white?
This I often wonder."

	"A knight," the page then told the boy,
	"Is he who pays my way.
	I tend his grounds, I keep his horse,
	I serve him through the day."

"What is a knight?"  Said the page to the squire,
"Who wears the chain of honour?
What is a knight; who can wear the belt of white?
This I often wonder."

	"A knight," the squire then told the page,
	"Is he who trains and guides me.
	From him, I learn my skill at arms:
	Honor, virtue, chivalry."

"What is a knight?"  Said the squire to his lord,
"Who wears the chain of honour?
What is a knight; who can wear the belt of white?
This I often wonder."

	"A knight, as I," he then replied,
	"Is he who guards the land.
	I serve the Crown in fielty;
	I am the king's right hand."

"What am I?"  Said the knight to his wife,
"That I wear this chain of honour?
What am I, who wears the belt of white?
This I often wonder."

	"A knight, my lord," she then replied,
	"Is he who's heart is true.
	Compassion guides your every step.
	For this, I love you.
	Your sword the king's; your word your own.
	For this, I love you."

This song was inspired by Sir Andrew Ward, who was knighted on the field at
Gulf Wars VI by His Majesty Calontir.  The next morning, while taking down
my pavilion on the list field (and while I was making enough noise to wake
the dead!), I had the pleasure of meeting him.  He assisted me with the
pavilion, and helped me get everything back to the Ansteorran encampment.

Enjoy!

-Kat