The Peerages...

Galen of Bristol pmitchel at flash.net
Fri May 30 03:00:53 PDT 1997

Pug Bainter wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
>   Okay. I think my face is on longer red from embarrassment, so let's
>   continue where my end goal in my thoughts were.
>
>   Why would anyone actually want to be a peer of the society?
>
>   As I see it, there are few advantages, and the "drawback" is beyond my
>   understanding.
>
>   The following items are up to the individual on if they are an
>   advantage or disadvantage of obtaining the peerage:
>
>   1) They have to set an example for all of those coming behind them. This
>      is not only in their field, but also in chivalrous behavior and
>      courtly grace.
>
>   2) They must spread their knowledge and encourage others.
>
>   3) To support and uphold the crown. (*I* don't think you can pick and
>      choose which crowns to support though. You must support them all. That
>      is my concept of a peer. I understand leaving the society for a
>      while if you are that devote, but not failure to support the crown
>      while you are active.)
>
>   4) To advise the crown of rising candidates.
>
>   5) They have to keep current on Kingdom and Society law, since they are
>      supposed to be upholding it at all times.
>
>   6) Continue to grow in their field, as well as others. (Sitting on
>      your "laurels" is stagnation. Stagnation is bad.)
>
>   Since one can do all of these without being a peer of the society, I
>   don't see any of them as being advantageous. (Of course the crown may
>   not take your advising as heavily for #4, but I am still of the
>   opinion that actions speak louder than titles.)
>
>   As I've stated before, I think the OP can be thrown out the window in
>   my eyes. I respect people for what they are doing, not what title they
>   currently hold.
>
>   The main thing I see as a definate disadvantage is the politics that
>   occur within the circles. These flucuate, but when I've seen this ugly
>   beast rise its head, it's truly an ugly site.
>
>   So it comes down to, why would one *want* the peerage? What makes it
>   gloureous? What makes it diserable? What am I missing in my thought
>   stream?
>
>   (On a side note, I understand the desire of Baron/ess and King/Queen.
>   They are positions and not awards though. In these positions you can
>   actually do things that you may not be able to otherwise.)
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> Phelim "Pug" Gervase  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something
> Barony of Bryn Gwlad  |  graceful about that lady. A young woman bursting with
> House Flaming Dog     |  vigor. She blinked at the sudden light. She writes
> pug at pug.net           |  beautiful poems. When ever shall we meet again?"

OK...

Pug, being a knight doesn't make it any easier (or harder, I hope)
to deal with _you_.  Except for this:  As a knight, all the things
you described above are my _duty_.  Plus doing my best to keep
up my own skills.  If I don't feel like doing it today, I still
should, and usually will (I have not lately been accused of
perfection) try my best to do all of the above -- all at once! --
despite my lack of motivation, because I am a knight.  Otherwise,
I might say, "not today".

But there are many who count it important that at some time in the
past, in the eyes of the Crown and the knights, I reached a level
of achievement worthy of certification:  knighthood.  And it is in
dealing with these people that I am far more able to do many things
that I could not otherwise do.

Teaching is at the top of that list.  For the six months leading
up to my knighthood, I never once taught anything at any SCA event
that I wasn't interrupted by someone telling me I was wrong.  That
rarely happens anymore.

Finally, why would I "want to be a peer of the society"?  In all
honesty, I have two reasons:  romance, and ego.  I find it immensely
romantic to be a knight.  And I find it very satisfying to not be
the only one who has some idea of what I'm capable of, even if they
haven't met me before.

There is another factor.  Someone I dearly love, and whom I have
known a very long time, would like dearly to be a Court Baroness,
because then people would take her seriously when she starts
speaking, rather than after she's spoken three times and they've
thought about it.  When I was a newcomer, the peers were natural
leaders for me, because it was easy to tell those who had achieved
from those who were simply loud.  There's a fellow in Bryn Gwlad,
who's put on armor twice I think, who consistently disagrees with
me publically about methods of teaching combat, fighting techniques,
and a variety of other issues that he simply isn't credible to
speak on, for lack of experience.  Telling _him_ I'm a knight
doesn't help, but if I wasn't a knight, newcomers would have
more difficulty in assigning weight to our conflicting words.

Now... politics.  Politics happens when you want someone else to
do something, but don't use force.  A triple peer and former
Steward (President) of the Society once told me, "the alternative
to politics is force".  Politics is when an autocrat tries to get
volunteers to help put on an event, or someone with an idea tries
to sell a new idea for an event to the local group.  Politics happens
when you want to convince the leaders of a group to appoint you to
an office.  And it happens when you know someone is worthy of a
peerage, and others don't realize it; or when someone is trying get
a candidate unworthy of a peerage elevated. One must speak up for
what one believes in, and try to persuade people of what one believes
is right.

But, as in fighting, some rules obtain:  1.  Politics is properly
done in the open, for honorable and stated purposes.  2.  No victory is
worth hurting someone -- if someone is hurt, it was done _wrong_.
3.  Call your blows; when you've lost, stop contending and leave
the arena until next time.  Hidden agendas, hurtful tactics, and
grudges are all quite unchivalrous.

Now I have a question for you.  You said:  "I respect people for
what they are doing, not what title they currently hold."  My
question:  Given that I was the maintainer of the kingdom website
before you, and set up much which we were both pleased to have you
continue to use on the newer websitewhich you now maintain, but
also given that I no longer maintain a kingdom-level website, do
you not have some respect for me for what I _did_ in the past?
If you do, you might consider taking another look at awards,
which are -- or at least aspire to be -- truly symbolic of _past_
activity.

Regards,

- Galen

--
Viscount Galen of Bristol, KSCA, CSM, etc.
Paul Mitchell, pmitchel at flash.net / "noblesse oblige"