The Peerages...

Heidi J Torres hjt at tenet.edu
Fri May 30 21:47:50 PDT 1997

greetings from mari the baroness
who has been reading don marquis
and decided to see what archy the cockroach would say about this

On Fri , 30 May 1997, Pug BainterèI”'z£ìíÎ«:ê wrote:

>   Why would anyone actually want to be a peer of the society?

it is like wanting to be a movie critic everyone thinks it would
be neat to watch movies and pass judgment and have everyone listen
to you until you realize sometimes you have to watch very bad
movies and you can t
leave

>   The following items are up to the individual on if they are an >
advantage or disadvantage of obtaining the peerage: > > 1) They have to
set an example for all of those coming behind them. This > is not only in
their field, but also in chivalrous behavior and > courtly grace.

it seems to me more often that common people hold themselves to a higher
standard of conduct as they want to be acceptable as peers some
peers on the other hand act like rowdies since they want to be acceptable
to the commons what else can you say about people who gamble away their
award insignia interrogation point remember even the most reprehensible
of us can serve as a bad example says i

They must spread their knowledge and encourage others. > >

they cannot help themselves any more than mosquitoes can help
spreading malaria the poor creatures must make a living after all

3) To support
and uphold the crown. (*I* don't think you can pick and > choose which
crowns to support though. You must support them all. That > is my concept
of a peer. I understand leaving the society for a > while if you are that
devote, but not failure to support the crown > while you are active.)

you would think some crowns would be heavier than others but that is a
mistake a pound or so of brass weighs the same just about anywhere except
perhaps on mars and on some people s heads also that is why there are always
more peers than crowns so they can take turns when their arms get tired

4) To advise the crown of rising candidates.

if the crowns are your friends it is nice to have a reason to talk to
them hi how have you been interrogation point fine by the way i know lord
ignatz has been spreading slanderous pamphlets about you and the duke s
llama but you really should take a look at that printing press of his if the
crowns are not your friends there is the annoyance factor to account for
i think most people must view this as a perk

> > 5) They have to keep
current on Kingdom and Society law, since they are > supposed to be
upholding it at all times.

they do interrogation point

> > 6) Continue to grow in their field, as well
as others. (Sitting on > your "laurels" is stagnation. Stagnation is bad.)

unless you are a mosquito if you are a mosquito stagnation is good it
breeds contagion and more mosquitos as for growing in their fields some
of those peers look ready to harvest to me

> > Since one can do all of these without being a peer of the society, I >
don't see any of them as being advantageous. (Of course the crown may >
not take your advising as heavily for #4, but I am still of the > opinion
that actions speak louder than titles.) > > As I've stated before, I think
the OP can be thrown out the window in > my eyes. I respect people for
what they are doing, not what title they > currently hold. > > The main
thing I see as a definate disadvantage is the politics that > occur within
the circles. These flucuate, but when I've seen this ugly > beast rise its
head, it's truly an ugly site. > > So it comes down to, why would one
*want* the peerage? What makes it > gloureous? What makes it diserable?
What am I missing in my thought > stream?

for the most part peerage like adulthood is desirable only
until attainment adulthood however is unavoidable peerages can be dodged
sometimes indefinitely as for the politics how do you know what goes on
in the circles interrogation point for all you know the knights stomping
about loudly and the laurels hurling chairs might simply be a re
enactment of last week s seinfeld episode that is like judging the depth
of a puddle by looking at it until you fall in you will never know some
people understandably just avoid mud puddles others feel a curious urge
to find out just how muddy it is i think this answers your question

> > (On a side note, I
understand the desire of Baron/ess and King/Queen.

ha exclamation point says i

 > They are positions
and not awards though. In these positions you can > actually do things
that you may not be able to otherwise.

i do not think you want me to describe in what positions you can actually do
things as this is a family forum but i will say that contrite looks of
apology unabashed on the knees begging and putting hands over ears and
saying lalalalalalalalalalala have all served well over the
years i cannot speak for the king and queen as they do not have to live
day in and day out with all the people their decisions actions and
entreaties affect to get an idea of what you can actually accomplish as
landed nobility try this exercise sit in a room with thirty or so
children ages three to seven over whom you have no real authority or
control other than whining and pleading and yelling but whose actions you
will be
held personally responsible for by your bosses who are the crown now try
to get them to do something together exclamation point this is a pale
comparison but it will have to do

yours in rum riot
and anarchy

archy the cockroach