ANST -Ladies & Who Protects Who

Lori Jones LJONES at ossm.edu
Wed Nov 5 14:59:46 PST 1997

> their tales are as worthy of recounting in their own
> right as those (from) then (or) today.

This is very true.  Every woman who has put on armor and participated
to any extent is worthy of recognition.  Several who were very
influential role models in my early fighting days are rarely found on
the field today (if at all).  Other ladies who started fighting when I
did, but no longer play SCA, played a large part in keeping me
involved at the time. If any or all of them had never chosen to put
on armor I (or several of the others once known as "fighting
gerbils") might never have continued to try in what seemed a very
male-dominated aspect of our game.  (Not that we didn't receive
plenty of encouragement from many of the guys, too!)  I guess I just
wanted to point out that all of us "ladies who fight" owe those who
paved the way for us a big "thanks."

> I do not have my archive open at the moment, but believe that I
> recall Burke (*possibly* someone speaking before he did) mentioning
> Treschen in the portion that I <snipped>

Actually, I believe I *was* mentioned in Sir Burke's original post
(in precedence order with other well known fighting ladies).  My
husband doesn't always get his e-mail or read it in the proper order
(but then that's one of those 10 things I promised I'd always forgive
him for, no matter what.  I've lost my list, but I'm sure it was on
there....)

> (You wouldn't happen to have any sisters possibly in need of a
> neophyte matchmaker's services, Your Excellency?

Actually, most of my sisters are doing quite well in that
department.  I believe there are only two who are unattached.  Our
eldest, Gunhilda, stubbornly refuses to marry.  Since she was
just recently made Baroness of the Court, I predict she will be
forced to refuse even more marriage proposals in the future. :-)

Then there is our youngest, who just recently moved to Namron.
Her elder sisters are keeping her well protected (though she's quite
strong willed) in order to ensure she devotes enough time to her
studies at the University.  She's rather striking, being tall and red-
headed, but bear in mind she is as yet only 17 (almost 18).  We fully
expect to have to fight the suitors off with sticks starting any day
now.

I guess I should drop a line of warning that she's enthusiastic about
armoring up and has even convinced one of the previously mentioned
"fighting gerbils" to start making new armor (along with a new
gerbil-rampant banner)....It could be the end of life as we know
it....

- Kat  >"<

Katrionna MacLochlainn, Wiesenfeuer
Lori Campbell