ANST - Stefan's files for December

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Sun Nov 9 19:51:12 PST 1997

A Blending of the Past and Present

Because I am now getting materials for my files from a variety of sources in
addition to the Rialto (rec.org.sca) including articles sent to me by email
and several mail lists, I have decided to rename my files, StefanÕs Florilegium.

Florilegium - (literally, "a gathering of flowers").  In medieval times,
Florilegia were collections of choice tidbits (from Ovid, Aristotle, various
popes, church scholars, etc.) arranged topically. Typically, a florilegium is
huge, encyclopedic, and contains only choice selections from particular works.

Anyone interested in these files is encouraged to request a copy of my complete
filelist by email. I can send this filelist or any of these files by email or
by copying them to a computer diskette if you donÕt have WWW access.

Those of you who have World-Wide-Web (WWW) access can get these files at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html.

    Ld. Stefan li Rous   (512)892-0036   mark_harris at email.sps.mot.com

Here are the new files for this month:

aspic-msg             Notes on aspic, a meat-base gelatin.
beans-msg             Medieval, old-world beans. Recipes.
bowstrings-msg        Medieval bowstrings. Making bowstrings.
canning-msg           Use of canning in the SCA. Directions.
eels-msg              Eel dishes. Getting and cleaning eels.
fairy-tales-msg       Period fairy tales and nursery rhymes.
gingerbread-msg       Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
headcooks-msg         Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning feasts.
hose-manu-MA-art      "Hosiery Manufacture in the Middle Ages"
                         translated by Johanna Lemercer.
illusion-fds-msg      Medieval illusion foods. Diguised food.
magic-moments-msg     "Magic Moments" experienced in the SCA.
relics-fr-all-art     "Relics for all" by Lord Xaviar the
                         Eccentric. The Black Rood of Scotland.
pastries-msg          Medieval pastries. Recipes.

I have just added three more good articles from Mistress Nicolaa de Bracton of Leicester:

cl-13th-fem-art       "A Brief Critical Look at WomenÕs Thirteenth
                                       Century Dress"
Domin-Order-art       "Friars Preachers:  The Dominican Order in
                                       the Middle Ages"
WK-Castles-art        "A Visit to Warwick and Kenilworth Castles"

Here are some of the files that have had substantial additions this past month:

Anst-hist-msg         Histories of the Kingdom of Ansteorra.
babies-msg            Camping with babies.
bow-making-msg        Making archery bows.
cloaks-msg            Cloaks, cloak pins and clasps.
desserts-msg          Medieval and SCA dessert recipes. Sweets.
feast-serving-msg     Ideas for serving feasts. How to organise.
fruits-msg            Medieval fruits and fruit dishes. Recipes.
largess-ideas-msg     Ideas for largess and gifts. Royalty gifts.
placenames-msg        Origins and meanings of SCA placenames.
pottery-msg           Medieval pottery, kilns. modern equivalents.
rattan-msg            Working with rattan. Rattan sources.
sewing-tools-msg      Medieval sewing tools, needles, thimbles.
soap-msg              Period soap and soapmaking.
utensils-msg          Utensils, plates, trenchers, cast iron pots.
---
Copyright 1997, Mark S. Harris, 5628 Wagon Train Rd. Austin TX  78749.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the contents are left unchanged.

<end>

Note to Editors: If this article is too long for your newsletter feel free to drop
the list of files that have had additions this past month. If you do publish this,
please drop me email so that I can have some idea of whether this article should
be continued. If anyone would like to be added to my list of folks who receive email
copies of this article, just send me a request by email.