ANST - Results on Ladies Protection

cward at awd.com cward at awd.com
Mon Nov 10 16:26:05 PST 1997

Vanora asks about making separate rules for new women fighters.

My answer would be, "Hell, no!!"

I *am* all for making them read a statement explaining the risks of being
hit in the breast and which urges them to wear more than minimum armor,
then sign a statement saying that they have read the information and
understand the risks -- and for that matter, new male fighters should have
to read and sign as well.

We are either *all* adults, or we are not -- no one questions men's
intelligence or maturity by assuming that they are too dumb to figure out
that wearing a cup is a Good Idea.  We should appropriately educate *all*
of our new fighters, and trust that they are in fact intelligent enough to
figure out what armor they should wear.

Most new fighters fight sword-and-board, which means that they do *not* get
hit in the upper chest much at all -- maybe an occasional tip or skip that
rides down off the helm, and even most of those fall on the shoulders.
Folks who fight florentine or great weapon or pole arm as new fighters
probably need more armor, but still it should be up to them to decide what
they will wear.

Ves heill,
::GUNNORA::

ALL ANSWERS MUST GO TO gunnora at bga.com
This is my Last Day!!!  at this job (hooray!!)
-------------
Original Text
From: "Vanora Villon" <vanora at hotmail.com>, on 11/10/97 5:26 PM:
Greetings from Lady Vanora!

 I appriciate the repsonce given to me on the mailing lists concerning
the issue of women's chest protection.
 I'd "guesstimate" there was about a 95% Yes on dropping Ansteorra's
rule to Corporate's gambison rule. But one thing remained consistant in
all of the replies... the fear of getting hurt or having a false
positive mamogram.
 I discussed this topic with my lord, Sir Corwin von Xanten,
_extensively_ last night. I agreed to publish his thoughts on the topic
for him... in light of what I believe will be the results of this issue
being brought to our crown.
 He is quite passionate in his opinion that women should be mandated to
wear chest protection. Why? He doesn't want to see us ladies get hurt
and he WILL "pull" blows to avoid hurting any of us. I know how I feel
about that... he'd better be ready for a whirl-wind! But, for what I'm
saying, that's neither here nor there.
 We agreed that the rule will _probably_ be dropped, but wondered how to
deal with new women fighters comming in and thinking that this new
minimum rule is just "hunky-dory". I DON'T want to be told that I have
to wear more protection because some new ladies can't start-off with
only a gambison... on the other side of the coin, some of these new
ladies on the field will be in for one big suprise the first time hit in
the chest without rigid protection. My lord suggested stating in the new
rule (assuming this happens) that new women fighters _should_ be
mandated to wear chest protection for "X" ammount of time. But my
question is how do we do that? What amount of time would be reasonable?
Let's say it's a year... can she fight for only three times in that year
while another lady fights 3 times a week for a year before they can both
drop the protection? Is this a reasonable request?
 I do wish to see women forewarned of the possible problem with cysts in
the breasts, which was Her Majesty's -Alisha's- point (with a yes "vote"
to my poll.) These cysts can show-up on a mamogram as a lump and can
throw-off the dr.'s. That is one consideration for every woman deciding
to take off their "gear". Another is "can I deal with the pain...knowing
there's no danger of long term damage?" I know it will hurt me at one
time or another (and in turn upset my lord greatly..."lordy-lordy!")
but, I know I can deal with any physical pain after having had a 9lb-7oz
boy with NO meds. (As an old drill sgt. fried of mine loved to say,
"DEAL with it!")

Please tell me what you think without goining into anything long on
medical facts/opinions... who said what... issues on grion protection...
etc... In other words, please keep it simple. I'm on at least 5
different mailing lists and don't have time to read all the long details
to the responces.

Thank you!

In Service to the Sable Star and to the Dream,

~Lady Vanora Villon de Paris~
esquire to Viscount Galen of Bristol,
Lady of Sir Corwin von Xanten,
Fist woman to the Teutonic Order of the Dragon- Atlantia,
Barony of Elfsea/ Ansteorra*

(:"When life deals you lemons... stuff them in your bra!" :)