ANST - Assistance Requested, PLEASE!

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 28 17:58:54 PST 1997

Cadwynn MacDonald wrote:

> "David of White Rock" - Title?  Composer unknown, Country of Origin unknown,
> Date of Composition unknown... sigh!
>
> 1st and 2nd verses, as I heard them:
> ==================================
> David the Bard on his bed of death lies-
> Pale of his features and dim are his eyes.
> Yet all around him his glance wildly roves
> 'Til it alights on the harp that he loves!
>
> Give me my harp, my companion so long-
> Let it once more add its voice to my song.
> Though my old fingers are palsied and weak,
> Still my good harp for its Master will speak!

This isn't really that obscure a song.  It is a traditional Welsh harp
song;  I've seen it dated around 1700, but the melody and mode make me
question whether it is older.  You may be having problems finding it
because it is Welsh, and they spell David as Daffydd. (it is pronounced
Da-veeth')  Once upon a time, I had a copy.  If I can find it, I will
send it to you!

Grafin Rebekah