ANST - Patent of Arms

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Fri Nov 7 10:13:01 PST 1997

From:	MX%"ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG"  6-NOV-1997 18:57:19.00

/> Independant (from Peerage) Patents
/As I argued before, I think Corpora implies "patent" = "peer".  (But
/"peer" is not defined anywhere ... *#$(%^ badly-written Corpora!)

I agree, lots of things in Corpora are not clearly defined.

/
/> could only be awarded to persons
/> who had held the Crown or Consort position.
/
/I dimly recall someone saying that a patent could only be awarded to a
/royal (that is, a King, Queen, Prince, or Princess stepping down) at
/the end of their reign -- you can't go back later and give it to them
/then.  I recall it being a Board ruling.  If that's the case, it's not
/really "independant", then.

I don't remember the ruling (I haven't had time to read ALL the published
board minutes) but I meant independant from peerage (where we run into
the implied patent=peer thing again)
/
/> Kief tried to find a way to bestow other independant patents
/
/Um, just out of curiousity, why?

With an eye to the posibility of making a "Local" patent holding order
/
/> but the Laurel would not even entertain the thought and adendums would
/> need to be written into Society Law.
/
/... which is why Laurel King of Arms didn't even entertain the
/thought: Corpora is the document that makes the restriction (it can
/only be given to Pels, Laurels, Chiv, Rose, and ex-Royals), and Laurel
/has no ability to change it by one jot or tiddle.  Might as well ask
/the Secretary of the Treasury to change the federal bankruptcy law.
/Or, to use a late-period example, ask Parliament (in England) to
/declare that God is not God.
/
/(Of course, one could ask Laurel to lobby for a change, but one could
/ask *anyone* to lobby the Board.  Given the amount of fuss and time
/the proposed "'sir/dame' for other peers" issue had, I really doubt
/that such lobbying would work.)

The best place to start to see if something is plausable (after reading
all pertainent governing documents) is the person whom the board will
consult (in theory at least).(And when there are lots of people with
questions at your back the least you can do is investigate the posibility
before completely counting it out)
/
/--
/Daniel de Lincoln

Thank you agian for catching holes in my "arguement"
one of these days I'll think things through enough that
the clarity will be blinding!!!!(or at least I can dream;))

Lorraine