ANST - Educational view

Michael Peters shdwstel at telepath.com
Fri Nov 7 17:06:03 PST 1997

Galen of Bristol wrote:

> Galen here!
>
> STDRJA11 at SHSU.edu wrote:
> >
> > > From:          joelight at lx.net (joelight)
> > > To:            "ansteorra" <ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG>
> > > Subject:       ANST - Educational view
> > > Date:          Tue, 14 Oct 1997 15:19:23 -0500
> >
> > > I have seen several people writing about the Ren Fairs drawing new members.  This accounts for a great deal here in the Western Region.  We have had 3 major
> > N, these take precedence over traveling to events.  As an educator, I feel my primary place is educating students and public to what we are and what>
> > > Ulrica
> > >

> > Since we are a EDUCATIONAL HISTORICAL recreation group, I say
> > ditto. Events are fun, but if you are not sharing the wealth of know-
> > ledge, how else are we to grow?
> >
> > Chrystal Ariana Mac Ruari, Baroness of Raven's Fort
>
> Oh, I don't know...  I learn a lot about history at events, mainly
> from people who care enough about authenticity to research it and
> try to emulate what was really done.  I thought that was what the
> SCA's "educational" tag refers to.  I've rarely seen much educating
> going on at RenFaires, except, as Ulrica said above, educating
> about _us_, in order to do recruiting.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm all for recruiting, but I'm not prepared to
> shut down the kingdom for the Texas Renaissance Festival nor for
> Scarborough Faire.  Nor even for the Hawkwood Medieval Fantasy
> Faire.  I think it works best by far when we each set our own
> priorities.
>
> - Galen of Bristol
> --
> pmitchel at flash.net / http://www.flash.net/~pmitchel
> "Commit principled acts of self-interest and ruthless logic."

Let each man pile his dead as suits him. I find myself siding with Galen
on this one. I grew up in Namron with the Medieval Fair in my backyard
and enjoyed it. I was unable to join, at first because of my youth and
later due to work scheduling but in my own time I came. For those who
love the pageantry I say go to fairs, speak to mundanes, enjoy.
 I'm a stick jock. I detest listening to every Joe Blow who wanders up
and begins to spout he's done this or he had that. Those who are truly
interested and asking questions are a joy, but as a mundane educator I
get tired of putting on a public face all week and then more at a fair.
I want to swing a stick and enjoy the company of my friends.
  Those who are truly interested will find us....these are the people I
want to meet.

Yours in service to Ansteorra always,

Lord Mykaru Kurodachi