ANST - RE BG Archery

Nan Bradford-Reid ad-4na at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 10 07:10:43 PST 1997

At 08:06 PM 11/7/97 -0600, you wrote:

>I think I have had some of this conversation about 2 years ago. If BG is a
>student org then you "should" be able to use school facilities, even non
>student members. Shadowlands uses the archery range at that other Texas
>University atm. They just can't use it when the archery team is, altough
>they "we" did just befor the NCAA nationals.

As I recall, the original problem with UT was that they did not want us to
use crossbows, based on the mistaken belief that all crossbows are powered
something like an F-4 and would tear up their targets.  I can understand the
other rule, though.  As with any athletic or sports equipment on campus,
students pay a fee as part of their tuition to use the facilities.  Faculty
and staff must also pay a membership fee to use the same facilities.  I can
go use the archery range, but my husband can't   IIRC, there are no
membership fees for F/S to use the workout facilities at A&M (which brings
up an interesting point: the students -- and/or you the taxpayer -- are
paying for it!), so perhaps there's not a big problem if the organization is
registered on campus.  A&M is in a much smaller town without the same sorts
of problems we face about non-authorized usage here in Austin.

Catherine
|N. Bradford-Reid              |"If you want to inspire confidence, |
|Air Force ROTC Detachment 825 |*give plenty of statistics*.  It    |
|The University of Texas       |does not matter that they should be |
|AD-4NA at mail.utexas.edu        |accurate, or even intelligible, so  |
|Phantom CAP SQDN 42352        |long as there is enough of them."   |
|A-1 Skyraiders Association    |                  Lewis Carroll     |