White Belt (Re: ANST - Congratulations!)

Galen of Bristol pmitchel at flash.net
Wed Nov 26 10:46:23 PST 1997

Galen here!

Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> > Lord Alexis La Bouche will be offered the White Belt at Coronation.
>
> Congratulations!
>
> I hope you don't mind a nit-pick: a candidate is (should be) offered
> induction into the Chivalry, and the candidate has a free choice of
> the belt or the baldric (knighthood or Mastery of Arms, respectively).
> I emphasize this because some other kingdoms look down on Masters of
> Arms and refuse to offer this choice (thus violating Corpora) so I
> like to emphasize that the choice exists and is free.
>
> --
> Daniel de Lincoln

During this reign, the King has now asked seven men to accept elevation
to the Chivalry, and told them that he would call them up in his court
and ask them to choose between the belt and chain of knighthood or the
baldric of Mastery of Arms.  And that's pretty much the way he said it.

In Ansteorra, we tend to use "the belts" as a generic term for the
members
of the Chivlary of the SCA (which, as we all know, is made up of the
two equal-but-mutually-exclusive Orders, the Order of Knighthood and the
Order of Mastery of Arms).  The Belted Circle is the gathering of the
Chivalry.  What is a baldric but a belt worn over the shoulder?

And, because I know someone will ask, the list is:
Sir Dieterich
Sir Alrek
Sir Corwyn
Sir Badon
Sir Jason
Sir Godwin
and now Lord Alexis, who will be knighted by
HRH Jean Richard at his Coronation.

--
pmitchel at flash.net / http://www.flash.net/~pmitchel
"Practice principled acts of self-interest and ruthless logic."