ANST - kingdom A&S

cward at awd.com cward at awd.com
Wed Oct 1 11:03:42 PDT 1997

Greetings from Gunnora, who is writing from her work address.

Baroness Clarissa asked about the rules and details for the Kingdom A&S
Competition to be held in November as well as the Nobles' Prize Tourney
which will be held at the same time.

For details on entering the static competition at Kingdom Arts and Sciences,
 contact Mistress Kalida (mynx at flash.net is the address, I think - it
should be listed in Black Star with the letter from the Arts and Sciences
Minister)

Basically (as I recall), each artisan may enter up to three items.  These
need to have at least basic documentation, and should not have been entered
previously in an arts and sciences competition.  If you send in a letter of
intent to Mistress Kalida either by postal service or e-mail, you should
get back rules and a copy of the judging form so you know what to expect.
When I get home tonite, I'll try and post the contents of the judging form
to the list so that folks can see what the judges will be using.

For those nobles who will be judging the Nobles' Prize Tourney, all you
need to do is bring whatever largess you would like to offer the artisans
and be prepared to evaluate artisan's displays.  If you have sufficient
expertise to offer a constructive critique in one or more of the arts, plan
to bring a pad and pen so you can write notes to the artisans: one of the
things I've learned from talking to people about judging in the last few
weeks is that although people do want to talk to a judge so they can get
the whole body language that goes with the discussion, they also need the
critique in written form so that they can refer to it when they return home
later.

If you wish to display in the Nobles' Prize Tourney, it is a standard body
of work display. Documentation is strongly recommended but not required.
Artisans should stay with their displays so that the judges can ask them
questions and offer comments.

As a note, in either Laurels' Prize Tourneys or Nobles' Prize Tourney,
displaying artisans may give largess and constructive critiques to other
artisans, and the populace is also welcome to give largess to those
artisans whose works impress them.  That's one nice thing about this
format: everybody can get into the act.

And while traditionally LPT has had very high quality largesse hand-made by
the master-craftsmen of the Laurels' Circle, not all largesse has to be a
masterwork.  Some ideas for appropriate largess which I have seen given at
past LPTs have included, but are not limited to:

hand-made bone needles (I gave out packets of 3 to 12 needles at last LPT)
hand-carved soapstone spindle whorls (another largess item I have given)
Viking random bead necklaces (I have given these at LPT as well as
Lyonnesse)
home-made herbal soaps
embroidered pouches
leather pouches
bottles of home-brewed liquers, wines or beers
sword-length staves of rattan
home-made herbal bath salts
home-made herbal oils
home-made herbal bruise salve
inkle and tablet-woven trim or belts
two, three, four or more hand-made lampworked glass beads
actual medieval coinage, one of two coins gifted
a pouch containing tumble-polished stones
necklaces of semi-precious gemstones
SCA-style costume jewellry
a full place setting of basic wood and pewter feastgear
a hand-carved horn or wooden spoon
a small dagger with woodburned-decoration on the handle

Does this address what you needed to know?

Original Text
From: "Dottie Elliott" <macdj at onr.com>, on 10/1/97 12:33 PM:
Greetings Kayleigh!

I was wondering if you can give me the rules for entries into Kingdom
A&S?  and into the Noble's Prize Tourney? Also, as a Baroness I would be
interested in participating in the judging or whatever happens in the
Prize Tourney. What do I need to do?

Baroness Clarissa di Firenze
Seneschal, Barony of Bryn Gwlad, Kingdom of Ansteorra