ANST - Field Personnas?

Carl Hess cjhess at uai-unger.com
Fri Oct 3 14:18:57 PDT 1997

> Does this question/discusion apply only to heavy fighters, or can
> rapier-weilders play too?  I know of several late-period personnas who
> stay true to their personnas on and off the field, wearing appropriate
> clothing and armor, speaking the appropriate language, discussing period
> topics, displaying the appropriate attitue, and fighting in a period
> style.  I, myself, an preparing to begin a study of DiGrassi, a period
> fencing master.  No more modern strip fencing in garb for me, I want to
> be true to my personna.  Never mind that I'm a *girl*.....
>
> Ghia

Actually, I consider fencers to be the "most" true to their period when it
comes to staying true to garb, fighting style and weapons.  However, I
think it is much easier for fencers to remain true to their period due to
extensive documentation and resources for later periods and the fact that
the sport of fencing has survived since it began in the late middle ages.
The same cannot be said for heavy weapons techniques.  Although tactics and
strategy survive from earlier periods, there are few weapon drills from
those earlier periods and none from Rome (republic, empire and afterward).

Scipio