ANST - Remaining True to Your Persona

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Mon Oct 6 08:03:43 PDT 1997

> Using the Ansteorran barn door shield is one of the things to which I was
> referring when I asked if remaining true to your persona meant giving up an
> advantage on the list field.

I have not found using my heater in a world of squares to be any real detriment.
I haven't seen the use of personna to be a real detriment on the field.
Personal skill should overcome any disadvantage. I have seen great bastard sword
fighters defeat sword and shield. Duke Inman has destroyed all opposition and
all weapons styles using just spear and dangle mace.  I have fought single sword
against every weapon style and won in a demo one year. A fighter shouldn't blame
superior style for his defeat. Don't use the weakness of your personna as a
crutch for accepting a defeat. (Speaking of crutches, Sir Keif has won a few
matches as well.)

> This leads me to a another topic:  justifying your persona within your
> canton/shire/barony.  If you are a 15th century Englishman surrounded by
> 8-11 century Vikings, do you adopt their ways?  Or do you remain true to
> what you are, and use the tools/weapons that were available to your persona
> to the best of your advantage?

Nah. When I began in the Society I was very interested in Vikings but when I
arrived in my Barony there was a large contingent of Norse personnas. Being the
counterculture SOB I am I still remained Swedish, 14th Century Swedish. I
learned a great deal about the later period North and truly enjoy the 14th C.
now.

I truly feel that the armor, weaponry, and fighting style of all cultures and
personnas can be adapted to efficient fighting against all the other styles.

Yers,

Gunthar