ANST - Award recommendation issues..

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Oct 9 05:24:42 PDT 1997

Good Morning,

  Since this has come up a couple times recently, and since I've heard
  some different viewpoints on this topic that took me by surprise, I
  thought I'd see what more people thought.

  What is making "award recommendations"?

  I assume that writing a formal letter to the Crown or local Rulers
  about the person, which award and why is clearly one. Are there others?

  Is sitting around discussing "why So-And-So is and So-And-So isn't"
  a form of award recommendation?

  Is mentioning that you think someone might be worthy in idle passing
  either in person or email an award recommendation? (As someone recently
  asked me if it was or not and I was completely shocked.)

  What I've seen as myself trying to figure out what guidelines are for
  a certain award or what does and doesn't make a peer may have been taken
  by others as award recommendations. I admit that it may bring
  individuals into some consideration since whomever I am talking with
  has to think about what they've done and what they haven't, but I
  never saw it as recommending them for anything.

  I've never sat down and wrote to the Crown or the Order's circle
  regarding a potential candidate (since I think it would be
  presumptuous *especially* since I don't have a clear concept of the
  guidelines) but am I making recommendations by just discussing different
  individuals and the guidelines?

  What do others think about how recommendations are or aren't made.

  Thanks for your time.

Ciao,