ANST - Award recommendation issues..

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Oct 9 11:40:22 PDT 1997

Paul Mitchell said something that sounded like:
> Pug, I appreciate your bringing this up.

Thanks. I think. *grin*

> Well, Pug, I don't think your ideas of what a peer should be are so
> fuzzy.

Hmm. Maybe I should state that I know what *my* concept of a "Peer" are,
but I'm trying to figure out the measuring stick everyone else is
actually using. This is why I keep talking to people about it. Without
this, I may either be having either too high or too low of expectations
for what the Order is trying to recognize. (I know I can be all too damn
idealistic regarding this.)

> You've consistently expressed them over quite a long period of time.

I'm glad I've been consistent about what I think of it. I've been
slowly growing it over time.

> I know that we in the peerage circles can't be everywhere
> or see everything, and so another point of view is valuable and welcome.

This is why I was asking. Since I've had discussions with Peers in
particular trying to flush out the guidelines, was it considered a
interactive recommendation?

> So give award-rec-writing a try sometime; if you can bring up a discussion
> in public about an individual, you could write to Their Majesties and
> tell them you don't understand why that person shouldn't be a peer.

I certainly do it for other areas, I may soon try it for Peers as well.

> Now, I _do_ believe that it is completely appropriate to use this list
> to discuss standards for awards, what constitutes right and wrong conduct,
> the nature of chivalry, honor, prowess, artistic excellence, or what
> qualities should a peerage circle be looking for, as long as you don't
> start naming names as examples.

As do I, which is why it keeps popping up from me.

Ciao,