ANST - Award recommendation issues..

Maddie Teller-Kook meadhbh at io.com
Thu Oct 9 15:09:14 PDT 1997

Pug Bainter wrote:

> Good Morning,
<snip>

>   What is making "award recommendations"?
>
>   I assume that writing a formal letter to the Crown or local Rulers
>   about the person, which award and why is clearly one. Are there others?

I think officially, writing a letter is the best way to go:
1.  It is written so the crown is not expected to remember each and
every recommendation they receive.  I would also cc the letter to
leaders within your group, baron/ess and/or seneschal. The reason, if
the crown approaches these individuals in your group, at least the local
'leaders' have an idea who is being recommended and can confirm this
information with the crown if asked.
>   Is sitting around discussing "why So-And-So is and So-And-So isn't"
>   a form of award recommendation?

In an informal way it is, BUT, if the it is not in writing, people may
forget, that is not to day discussion should stop. This can be an
excellent way to determine if someone has been overlooked and then get
that information to the crown.

>   Is mentioning that you think someone might be worthy in idle passing
>   either in person or email an award recommendation? (As someone recently
>   asked me if it was or not and I was completely shocked.)

It is but will it get to the people that need to know it AND, if it is
made verbally will this information be remembered?

>   What I've seen as myself trying to figure out what guidelines are for
>   a certain award or what does and doesn't make a peer may have been taken
>   by others as award recommendations. I admit that it may bring
>   individuals into some consideration since whomever I am talking with
>   has to think about what they've done and what they haven't, but I
>   never saw it as recommending them for anything.
>

>   I've never sat down and wrote to the Crown or the Order's circle
>   regarding a potential candidate (since I think it would be
>   presumptuous *especially* since I don't have a clear concept of the
>   guidelines) but am I making recommendations by just discussing different
>   individuals and the guidelines?

For one, there are no 'guidelines'.  IF you perceive someone as being a
peer and they are not one, then recommend them for that award. Please
don't feel that you can not recommend someone for an award because you
don't have an award of the same rank. Anyone can recommend anyone for
any award!
>   What do others think about how recommendations are or aren't made.

I think that not enough people recommend others for awards THEY think
they deserve. And I don't think enough people make awards
recommendations. And new people shouldn't be shy about making these
recommendations.

in service,

meadhbh