ANST - group names

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Tue Oct 14 08:22:46 PDT 1997

---Maddie Teller-Kook <meadhbh at io.com> wrote:
> I do believe Stargate was named for its proximity to NASA.
> meadhbh
> V. Allan Endel wrote:
> > > I have some descriptions like this
> > > from groups around the Known World.
> > > I'd love to hear about how other groups came up with
> > > their group names and possibly add them to my
> > > placenames-msg file.
> > >Stefan li Rous
> > >markh at risc.sps.mot.com
> > Stephenville is in an area with few prominent geographic
> > features. However about 35 miles away is the Comanche Peak
> > Nuclear Power Plant, hence the name Dragonsfire Tor.
> > Alan

Mooneschadow (or whatever the current official spelynge may be) was
founded by college students who only briefly considered -- and
rejected rapidly -- SCA College status. However, we still wanted to
acknowledge the primary "trade" being plied by the core membership.
The name Moonshadow associated ultimately with the habits of students
& rogues, who spend so much of their most useful efforts toiling in
the shadows cast by the moon.

The original, longform, name also included the descriptor "Land of the
Crying Winds".  Anyone who has visited the rolling plains of northern
Ansteorra upon a January day and heard the wind "singing" through the
fences should be able to figure out *that* part...

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle / Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra /
Mike C. Baker       F.O.B. (Friend Of Blackfox)
My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!