ANST - Educational view

joelight joelight at lx.net
Tue Oct 14 13:19:23 PDT 1997

I have seen several people writing about the Ren Fairs drawing new members.  This accounts for a great deal here in the Western Region.  We have had 3 major weekend demos in our Region over the last month.  Fortunately, people have traveled in all directions to help.  Blacklake did one for a nearby city which resulted in our finding a great new place for a site and having them receptive to us.  Mendersham has had one major Ren Fair this past weekend and another for the local Sam's outlet next weekend.  (Sam's requested them!!!!)  We also have the Globe of the Great Southwest Ren Fair here in Odessa each May and Bonwicke has their Highland Games and Cultural Arts Demos which attracts many prospective members.  Treloch also has demos each year.  This puts many of those who travel out some two months worth of events a year.  However, since the key word here is that we are a
non - profit EDUCATIONAL organization, IN MY OPINION, these take precedence over traveling to events.  As an educator, I feel my primary place is educating students and public to what we are and what life was like.  Other opinions?

Ulrica