ANST - group names

Donald C. Walker "walkerd at hub.ofthe.net" at hub.ofthe.net
Tue Oct 14 15:24:37 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Alastair Aylward declared:
>
> >  I am a founding member of Bonwicke and can
> >remember when there were only a couple of folk and we were still
> >discussing what we should call the incipient shiree.... Bonwicke=Good
> >Meeting Place
>
> So, how did you come up with the name Bonwicke? What language is it
> from? What is it supposed to mean?
>

> Stefan li Rous
> markh at risc.sps.mot.com

Bonwicke is a very early English name. Bon (possibly Norman french)
meaning good and wicke OE meaning place. Check a map of England and you
can find any number of ...wicke(s).

                             Garth
   Founding member of Bonwicke still in residence

PS: My heartfelt feeling to the Loch. It's tough when you throw a party
and no guests show up. Keep working; it really does get better.