ANST - group names

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Wed Oct 15 20:43:20 PDT 1997

Galen here!

RAISYA at aol.com wrote:

> If you're collecting group names for the Knowne World generally:
>
> Perilous Journey - Berlin, Germany named in the days that getting in and out
> of the city WAS a perilous journey.  It was a shire, I'm not sure what it is
> these days.

Actually, Perilous Journey went defunct a few years after I left there.

The name came actually from one of Duke Merowald's maps of the Known
World,
which showed a shire in the far east of Drachenwald called "Perilous
Journey".
I thought it had to be Berlin, but when I got there, there was no shire
in
Berlin, and Drachenwald had never had a Shire of Perilous Journey.  So I
founded the shire in Berlin, using the name from the map; it was the
only
SCA branch behind the Iron Curtain.

- Galen of Bristol