ANST - News from Smithfield

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Sun Oct 26 19:32:46 PST 1997

Herewith a report on the "Day in Smithfield" tournament at Bryn Gwlad's
Baronial Fair (in Ansteorra):

The day dawned fair and cool as our hapless travellers made their way
through Smithfield. The initial brawl happened in a large square, complete
with a fountain that was well-stocked with fish. It was a short, sharp
affray, with many fighters falling to the blades of their opponents, and at
least one fellow being killed by "friendly fire" from an over-zealous
teammate.

Once our worthy heroes escaped the melee, they made their way down a dark
alley, were they encountered a pair of ruffians drinking and playing at
dice. many of the ruffians were slain, some were bribed with a song, or
money, and some of our heroes were slain by the scurrilous ruffians as
well. The alleyway also saw the first of the unusual weapons made for the
tournament. One fellow was carrying a basket, from which a fish's tail
protruded; when he was accosted, he grasped the fish and pulled it from the
basket, revealing it to be a sword-fish. A few others had pistols, although
the London fogs must have gotten into their powder, for none would fire.

Once they escaped the alley, the survivors stopped at a tavern which served
"bottom of the barrel booze" from the notorious "Rusty Halberd Vinyards".
Numerous brawls ocurred, as well as one poisoning, and the appearance of
another combat fish. This one was long and thin and had several holes in
its body. Its owner said it was a "Swiss pike".
Only one fighter actually climbed on top of a table, although several stood
on the benches to fight.

Exhausted by their ordeals, the fighters retired for the night, only to be
set upon by jealous lovers. This situation was the source of much
good-natured ribald humor as various improbable pairings were found in bed
together. By my reckoning that must have been the most jumped-through
window in Ansteorra.

There was supposed to be a fifth scenario, set in Honest Don Tivar's
Academy of Defense, but the day was growing later and colder, so it was
dropped.

Thanks to my Lady, Mistress AEthelyan, for keeping all the names and
pairings straight, to the various marshals (most of whose names I'm afraid
I don't remember) and to the fighters for coming out and playing in my
scenarios.

HE Jehanne chose Piet de Rausch as the new Baronial Rapier Champion, and
recognized Don Eule and Lord Orlando for not being killed in any of the
scenarios.

	-Tivar Moondragon
		Ansteorra