ANST - Praise Poem for Kief af Kierstad

cward at awd.com cward at awd.com
Mon Oct 27 16:40:36 PST 1997

Several people wanted a copy of the words I spoke for Sir Kief's Pelican
ceremony this past weekend at Bryn Gwlad.

Although I had prepared words to speak in advance, I never had time to
memorize them.  Thus when it came time to speak, I was pretty much making
it up as I stood there, except for the last verse, whichI had tucked into
the top of my mead-horn.

Afterwards, I wrote down what I could remember saying and what people who
had heard me say said I said more or less.  The poem I spoke was very
different from the one I had planned to use, but Kief liked it, which is
good enough for me.

 Here then, is my praise poem for Sir Kief:

Hear me!  I am Gunnora -- 	Honor-Leaf was I granted
Listen! For soon 	shall I speak!
Of a noble nature, a peer's heart-- 	this knowledge will I give you!

Here is come Kief af Kierstad	hearth-companion to the king,
kin of hus-carls this warrior bold	beneath the Black Star banner.
Brave and strong this helmet wearer,	fierce beats his heart within his
breast.
Laughing he wields the light-of-battle!	he is the last to leave the
fray.

Like the Earl of Orkney 	each of the arts embraces
He reads the runes rightly,	nor wrestles with writing
And knows the noble arts	the full nine skills of old
Best of these the boast of Bragi:	in his breast stirs a poet's soul.

Nor may the old men mutter	that his service is not meet
He would rather have hard work	than ice of the hawk's land.
>From war with the Goths	he gave his service, garnered
glory no less in giving judgement	than gotten on the gore-field
when comparing the crafts	that were come to compete.

What are the works	this warrior has wrought?
With bone and breath	and blood of bold heart
He has striven to serve	the Land of the Star!
King and Queen, hear me	when I call this man kinsman:
On the oath-ring I'll answer	that he is my equal.

::GUNNORA::

Herskerinde Gunnora Hallakarva
writing from work

This address is going away on Nov. 10 -- write me at gunnora at bga.com