ANST - Field Personnas?

Carl Hess cjhess at uai-unger.com
Mon Oct 6 16:06:19 PDT 1997

<snip>

> > How does this "Roman" style differ from others? What makes it
distinctive?

> > Thanks.
> >   Stefan li Rous
> >   markh at risc.sps.mot.com
> >

> I was hoping the good Lord Scipio would answer this since I think he
would have
> a better knowledge than I but I will post just my observations.

I started to respond to the other post, but since you already did such a
good job, I'll add a few comments.  Thanks for the compliments, Sir
Gunthar, it means a great deal to me, and makes me feel good about
re-joining the SCA.

> He fought center-gripped scutum all day. I believe he would use a medium
> length stabbing sword when sword & shield were called for and a small
thrusting
> pilum with the scutum in situations not calling for sword & shield.

I'm a bit late period for the pilum, but your observations are good.  My
spear represents a lancea -- a longer, heavier weapon primarily used in
skirmishing (read: non-shield wall battles), although it did find some use
in open field battles (where a shield wall would be used) it was a melee
weapon and was never cast like the pilum.  My scutum is center-mounted,
just like the originals, and I use it to press my opponent's shield and/or
weapon in order to set them up for the stab, although short cuts are very
effective that close, too.

I learned to fight with a slung heater and a non-thrusting longsword. I was
late Danish at the time.  The style I now use is much more active, both
offensively and defensively.

> He wore lorica flexius (if I recall the latin correctly) which is a Roman
chain
> mail with reinforced shoulders.

Lorica Hamata.  The description is exactly correct.  Although in the late
period from which "Scipio" originates, the shoulder re-enforcement was not
normally used because it added too much weight.  I use it because Scipio's
grandfather would have insisted.  Probably something like, "Your father
used one, I used one, my father before me, and his father before him, back
to the Republic!  No member of my familia is going to come home after his
first engagement with a broken collar-bone, NOW PUT IT ON!"  Or something
like that.

> I don't know his W/L record for Elfsea and I didn't get to watch too many
of his
> bouts but I did notice him when he was on the field.  Isn't that part of
tourney
> fighting?

I was 2 and 3.  However, after I won the first two bouts against
experienced fighters using weapon styles I basically "made up" in my garage
working a pell (spear/shield and sword/spear), I didn't care how I did
after that.  I confided in Sir Galen that I could die at that moment
without complaint. Next time, I'll do better.

Scipio