ANST - Award recommendation issues..

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Thu Oct 9 08:42:57 PDT 1997

>Pug Bainter 10/9/97 7:24 AM
>  What is making "award recommendations"?
>
>  I assume that writing a formal letter to the Crown or local Rulers
>  about the person, which award and why is clearly one. Are there others?
This is the only way to insure that someone gets recognized. If you are
certain what award is deserved, describe why the person deserves an award
at least.

>  Is sitting around discussing "why So-And-So is and So-And-So isn't"
>  a form of award recommendation?
No. This is a nice triage but since the crown and local rulers may never
hear of it this doesn't accomplish much.  If a letter is sent as a result
of the conversation then its very useful.

>  Is mentioning that you think someone might be worthy in idle passing
>  either in person or email an award recommendation? (As someone recently
>  asked me if it was or not and I was completely shocked.)
No. Our crown at present accepts email recommendations (when sent to them
privately). But general comments over this list is not a recommendation
as far as I am concerned simply because you can't know whether the crown
will ever see it.

>  I've never sat down and wrote to the Crown or the Order's circle
>  regarding a potential candidate (since I think it would be
>  presumptuous *especially* since I don't have a clear concept of the
>  guidelines) but am I making recommendations by just discussing different
>  individuals and the guidelines?

It is not presumptous to recommend someone. The crown *knows* the
guidelines as do the circles and are the final say in any case. Your
letter however can bring someone to light that has been over looked and
while may not be eligible for the award you are recommending them for may
well be eligible for something else.  At least you have brought them
deserved attention and consideration that without your letter they may
not have received.

Clarissa